I can’t emphasize how amazing liver is. Gram for gram it is the most nutritious food. It is a multivitamin, really. Traditional cultures around the world consider liver a sacred food due to its high nutrient density. It’s high in vita A, E, D and K, B12, B6, zinc, folate, choline and iron. This is why it’s so great for pregnant women and young children. Unfortunately, a lot of people dislike the taste of liver. I am really into pate, but I understand that most people are a little grossed out by eating liver. So what I like to do is mix it into things. I’ll blend up a pound of chicken livers from the farm and freeze a little bit in individual packages. I then add it to whatever I’m cooking for dinner, soup, stir fry, chili, anything really. It disguises the taste wonderfully. I did this with my cilantro and lime chicken.
half a bunch of cilantro
a few chicken livers (I used three)
3 cloves of garlic
juice of 1-2 limes
5 bone in, skin on chicken breast, or around 1lbs
- Separate cilantro leaves from stem and add to blender with whole cloves of garlic.
- Juice limes into the blender, then add the liver as well.
- Pour over chicken breasts, make sure to get the marinade under the skin as well.
- Marinate for at least one hour.
- Bake on 400 for about thirty minutes.
Shared at: Eat Make Grown Thursday