Maryland crab isn’t like other kinds of crab. I find other crab chewy, grainy and not as sweet. Crab feasts here are common and pretty much the best thing ever. You hang out in someone’s backyard, lay down newspaper over a table, dump a jump of crabs on said table and feast. For hours. Most people usually set out butter and vinegar to dip the crabs in, and you always have a drink nearby.
I recently got my hands on some already picked crab. And wasn’t sure what to do with it. I wanted to make something that would highlight the awesomeness of the crab without overpowering it. But I also wanted something spicy and a bit creamy. This crab salad was all of those things and it turned out amazing. Like, so so good.
- 1.5 cup Maryland crab (you can use other crab, but MD is the best)
- 1/4 cup homemade mayo
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 1/2 a small jalapeño, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- optional: garnish with chives
- 1 avocado, halved
- Cut the avocado in half, scoop it out and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients until mixed in.
- Scoop the crab salad into the avocado cups.
- Garnish with chives and serve.