Deviled eggs are one of my favorite snacks ever. They’re easy to throw together and insanely healthy. I upped the nutrient density by adding salmon roe. In traditional cultures, fish eggs were reserved for men and women planning to conceive, pregnant women and growing children. It’s definitely a fertility food.
Egg yolks are rich in vitamins A, E, D and K as well as choline – a necessary nutrient for pregnancy. Both the egg yolk and fish eggs are rich in omega-3s and the fish eggs are high in vitamins A, D and C and a great source of B12 and folate.
I’ve found that a lot of people think fish eggs will taste super fishy, but they’re more salty than anything. They are a great addition to eggs, oysters, sushi, etc. Not overly fishy, just the right amount.
- 4 eggs, hardboiled
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fermented pickles (Bubbie’s)
- dill, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp salmon roe
- Chop the eggs in half and scoop out the yolks into a bowl.
- Mash the yolks with mayo, mustard, pickle, onion and spices until smooth.
- Scoop back into egg shells.
- Top each egg with 1/2 tbsp of salmon roe.