This recipe is based off of one found in this gluten-free vegetarian cookbook that Scott’s mom bought for me. When we were out and about at the farmers market I saw all of the veggies I needed to make the recipe. God I love summer. So I altered the recipe and made this. Because I hate following directions.
- 2 summer squashes (even though only one is pictured below)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 long, thin eggplants
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- cheese of choice to sprinkle on top, I used asiago
- 1 cup of basil leaves
- Slice the tomato, eggplant and squash.
- Dice the onion and sautee in butter until soft.
- In a blender, combine the garlic, basil and olive oil until smooth.
- Arrange the eggplant, tomato and squash slices vertically in a baking dish. See below.
- Top with the onions.
- Top with the basil mixture.
- Bake on 375F for 40 minutes.
- Add the cheese and put it back in the oven for about a minute, until it melts.