Yesterday I wrote an article on the benefits of collagen, you can read all about that here (I’m also giving away three containers of it so make sure you enter!). Collagen is found in the bones, hooves and hides of animals and is rarely eaten anymore, whereas our ancestors ate a significant amount of it.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and it rapidly declines after the age of 25, which is why we often see symptoms like wrinkles, cellulite and brittle hair and nails as we age. From my article yesterday…
Due to modern diets rich in sugar, processed carbohydrates and a slew of other unhealthy foods, most people are dealing with some level of gut issues, from irregularity to IBS. Collagen is more easily absorbed and therefore great for those who struggle with gut issues. Collagen has been shown to strengthen mucosal lining and improve low stomach acid.
In part, cellulite is caused by a breakdown of collagen. Of course there are many causes of cellulite, but I’ve personally found that the appearance of my thighs looks a lot better when I’m drinking collagen regularly.
Hair and nails are largely made up of collagen, after all it is the most abundant protein in the body. Like bones and joints, hair and nails will naturally become more brittle as we age due to a decrease in collagen production.
Like I said above, our bodies produce less and less collagen after the age of 25, which often shows up not just in our weaker bones and joins, but on our face. A lack of collagen leads to sagging, sallow, wrinkled skin. But consuming collagen daily firms and tones the skin, leaving you with a bright, youthful glow.
- 1 cup hot water, heated over the stove
- 5 tbsp collagen(you can use more or less depending on how often you normally take it, start slow)
- 7 cups filtered water
- Juice of 2-3 lemons (depending on how sour you like it)
- 5 lemon slices
- 6 tbsp maple syrup (more if you’d like it sweeter)
- Dissolve the gelatin into one cup of hot water.
- Combine that with the rest of the water, the juice of the lemons, the maple syrup and stir.
- Top with lemon slices and chill until cold.