Scott and I are currently snowed in. DC kind of shuts down after 2-3 inches of snow so now that we’re at 4-5 inches, the city is dead. We’re holed up here with our cats and this flourless chocolate cake. Scott has already had two pieces for breakfast, so I’d say it’s definitely dude-approved.
Last weekend we went to a restaurant in Annapolis that apparently had the most amazing flourless chocolate cake. I know this because I heard people talking about it when I was eavesdropping on their conversation (what? Like you don’t do that in restaurants?). I wasn’t in the mood for sweets, and knew it would be full of sugar and other questionable ingredients so I didn’t order it and figured I could make it myself at home.
It’s already flourless so I didn’t have to worry about the gluten component, but most recipes called for sugar and vegetable oil. Two things I definitely don’t eat, so I made my own. And it turned out pretty damn good.
Oh! And the caramel sauce is amazing. I love it a lot. It separated a bit in the pictures, but it still tastes awesome.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 300 and whip out a big bowl for all of the ingredients.
- Add the eggs and honey to the bowl.
- Over very low, melt the coconut oil and chocolate.
- Add the cacao and vanilla to a bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Once the coconut oil and chocolate are melted, slowly pour in while stirring.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then refrigerate until set. At least 1 hour.
You can find the caramel recipe here. Really, it’s so good.