Truth be told, most of the time I don’t love coming up with new and exciting recipe ideas (actually, I’m not sure I even do that in the first place). But my point is – complicated meals aren’t really my thing. While I love to cook, at the end of the day I mostly just want to eat something delicious and as fast as possible. I definitely don’t want to bake anything, measure, or cook something that takes a ton of time (unless it’s been simmering in my crockpot all day).
That’s why I love twenty minute meals like this. They’re so easy to prepare and are super healthy. The idea that it’s impossible to cook healthy food in under twenty minutes just isn’t true. That’s what I call an excuse.
And guess what? This meal was under $5 and was 100% organic. The lamb steak came in a pack of two at Whole Foods for six bucks. The potatoes were super cheap from Trader Joe’s. The arugula, tomatoes and red onion were from the farmers market. The avocado came in a bag of four from TJ’s as well. Now where are you going to get a meal for under $5? That’s organic? That includes steak? That’s what I thought.
So here’s how I made it:
- I peeled three potatoes which took all of a minute.
- I boiled the potatoes until they were tender about 12-15 minutes.
- While boiling, I set out the arugula on the plate, topped it with sliced tomato, sliced red onion and diced avocado. Topped with salt, pepper and olive oil. About 4-5 minutes.
- I coated my lamb steak in salt and pepper and oregano, then cooked it for two minutes on each side.
- I drained the potatoes and mashed them with butter. This took about 2 minutes.
It was such a tasty dinner and I even have leftovers of the lamb and potatoes, which will be lunch today. Making healthy food doesn’t have to be complicated or a long, drawn-out process. Keep it simple!